Neuromarketing Research Company
Vision One’s neuromarketing research and insight tools (sometimes known as neuroscience research), includes face emotion analysis called FACE (which stands for Face Analysis to Capture Emotions).
Vision One’s FACE is ideally suited to visual communications research including; TV advertising, branding, packaging and website evaluation research by capturing the expressions and emotions people exhibit when watching / seeing a wide range of research stimulus.
Introduction to Facial Expression Analysis
Paul Ekman pioneered research into emotion recognition in the 1960s his test subjects had to classify the emotional states of people they saw in each photo from a predetermined list of possible emotions.
Ekman’s research determined that there were key emotions, which he termed universal emotions. These original universal emotions are:
- Joy (or ‘Happiness’) – symbolised by raising of the mouth corners (a smile) and the tightening of the eyelids
- Surprise – symbolised open wide eyes, eyebrows arching and exposing more white and with the jaw dropping slightly
- Sadness – symbolised by lowering of the mouth corners, the eyebrows descending to the inner corners and the eyelids drooping
- Anger – symbolised by eyebrows lowering, lips pressing firmly and eyes bulging
- Disgust – symbolised by the upper lip raising, nose bridge wrinkling and cheeks raising
- Fear – symbolised by the upper eyelids raising, eyes opening and the lips stretching horizontally
There is a seventh emotion that is sometimes considered Universal emotion – or we call ‘Neutral‘.
Vision One’s FACE analysis captures the but also adds a further expression of emotion which we call Sceptical.
- Sceptical – half of the upper lip tightening up (using what is called the risorius muscle) and often the head is tilted slightly back
There are other emotions we feel which are not included within FACE (e.g. guilt, shame, jealousy and pride) as we do tend not to show any clear and obvious expressions with these emotions.
Vision One’s FACE – Emotion Evaluation
FACE measures emotion and can be applied to a wide range of brand communications, from TV and online advertising, packaging, websites and usability testing. It can also be combined with our other neuromarketing tools such as Eye-tracking and EEG for a complete measurement – available with our specialist advertising and packaging tools AdProbe and PackProbe.
If you have a research enquiry or would like someone to contact you about a possible project please call us on 0203 693 3150 or send us a message. We look forward to hearing from you.